The Bachelor of Science (BSc) Nursing course is a 4-years Undergraduate course in Nursing. It covers all the important aspects of Nursing and provides additional skill training to students who are interested in the diverse specializations of Nursing. The syllabus is a varied mix of classroom lectures and hands-on practical sessions and is aimed at imparting thorough knowledge and know-how basics of the profession.
As Nursing is directly involved in taking care of patients, the course is detailed, rigorous and application-based. The list of subjects that are taught during the course include:
- Nursing Foundation
- Pathology and Genetics
- Medical/Surgical Nursing
- Community Health Nursing
- Communication and Educational Technology
- Midwifery and Obstetrical Nursing
- Introduction to Computer
- Nursing Research and Statistics
- Management of Nursing Services and Education
- Child Health Nursing
- Fundamentals of Nursing
- First aid with applied Sciences and Pharmacology
- Psychiatric Nursing
- Operation Theatre Technique
The future scope of Nursing is not only limited to hospitals and clinics but graduates can pursue a career in academia, professor, trainee or go for higher education. After successful completion of the course, graduates can either go for higher studies or start working in the medical industry. The course is centered on care, rehabilitation or treatment of patients. Nurses are specifically trained to assist doctors in the efficient and effective treatment of patients.
Nursing plays an important role in the healthcare sector and the BSc Nursing course will enable students to successfully assist the patient and ensure their quick recovery. Through the BSc Nursing course, students will gain knowledge about patient care, medicines and maintaining the good health of the general public.
BSc Nursing is a suitable course for students who are focused on providing assistance and care for individuals, families and communities to help them attain a healthy living. The responsibilities of graduates range from making acute treatment diagnosis to providing vaccinations in schools. The core skills required for a successful career are understanding, precision, experience, drive and determination that it takes to be a reliable Nurse. Through long-term monitoring of a patient’s external health, medical tests and behavior and knowledge-based expertise and skills, Nurses are highly qualified to take important decisions related to a patient’s health and wellbeing.
The BSc Nursing Course is a full-time 4-years duration Undergraduate program with 6 months of Internship (Internship duration varies for different colleges).
- A minimum aggregate score of 45% or equivalent in 10+2 education (or equivalent) with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English subjects from a recognized Education Board is mandatory for the BSc Nursing Course.
- Candidates belonging to Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes or Category I should have a minimum aggregate score of 40% or equivalent in 10+2 education (or equivalent) with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English subjects from a recognized Education Board.
- The candidate should be at least 17 years of age on 31st December of the year of admission.
- NRI/Foreigner candidates should submit documents to prove their Foreign/NRI Status - Passport, Study Permit, School Certificate, etc.
Affiliations and Approvals
- Recognition by the Government of Karnataka
The Nursing courses offered by colleges in Bangalore should be approved by the Government of Karnataka.
- Affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS)
Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences is a government central university in Bangalore established in 1996 by the Government of Karnataka and recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) for the regulation of higher education in health sciences in Karnataka. The university is the largest health sciences university in India and is located in Jayanagar.
- Approval of Indian Nursing Council (INC)
The Indian Nursing Council is an autonomous national regulatory body for Nursing education in India. It was started in 1947 with the objective of establishing a uniform standard of education and training for Nurses, Midwives and Healthcare Workers. The council is also responsible to acknowledge and grant various Nursing qualifications and recognize a potential Nursing college or institution.
- Approval of the Karnataka State Nursing Council (KSNC) for Deemed University
Deemed or Private universities are approved by the Karnataka State Nursing Council. The Karnataka State Nursing Council is a state regulatory body for Nursing education in Karnataka. It was established in 1971 with the objective of granting recognition to the training institutions and their regular inspection in accordance with the Indian Nursing Council. The council is also responsible to regulate, supervise and prescribe the curriculum of training programs of the Diploma, Graduate and Postgraduate courses and finally provide registration certificates to qualified graduates.
BSc Nursing Syllabus
The BSc Nursing syllabus consists of the basic theoretical and practical concepts related to Nursing subjects. Some of the important topics included in the BSc Nursing course are:
||Nursing Foundation Practical|
||Medical Surgical Nursing I Practical|
||Mental Health Nursing Practical|
||Community Health Nursing Practical|
Why should one choose BSc Nursing in Bangalore?
The BSc Nursing course is a popular healthcare professional course in Bangalore. It is an interesting course choice because:
- Nursing allows a candidate to make a significant difference through compassion and care for the people in need.
- There are plenty of career opportunities in leading hospitals and healthcare centres in Bangalore.
- There is continuous exposure to diverse working environments in hospitals and clinics in Bangalore.
- There are continuous challenges and opportunities to learn new things.
- Candidates can make a career out of helping and caring for people.
- Provides instant job satisfaction.
- Candidates are appreciated and respected for their professional assistance.
- Graduates get to take care of the health needs of the individual, family and community under the direction of qualified and trained Nurses who are recognized in Bangalore
- There are diverse and popular specializations in Bangalore that focus on medical areas including Clinical Care, Midwifery, Cardiology, Critical Care, Neonatal Care, Geriatrics, Pediatrics, Surgery, Mental Health, Oncology, Orthopedics, Community Health and Occupational Health.
- Hospitals and clinics in Bangalore provide a very good salary package with additional benefits.
- The working hours are flexible and regulated - it ensures work-life balance.
Top BSc Nursing Colleges in Bangalore
Bangalore has many recognized Top BSc Nursing colleges. These include:
- MS Ramaiah Medical College
- Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science (KIMS)
- Vydehi Institute of Medical Science and Research Center
- BGS Global Institute of Medical Science
- Akash Institute of Nursing
- Rajarajeswari Medical College and Hospital
- East Point College of Medical Science and Research Center
- Dayananda Sagar University (DSU)
- Acharya Institute of Nursing
- RV Aster Hospital
- East West College of Nursing
- Good Shepherd Institutions
- Sapthagiri Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre
- RR Group of Institutions
- Sea College of Nursing
- T John College of Nursing
- Manjushree College of Nursing
- Sri Devaraj Urs College of Nursing - Kolar
- Sri Siddhartha Nursing Colleges - Tumkur
Career Scope of BSc Nursing
BSc Nursing graduates have plenty of opportunities in hand right after completing their graduation. They can also work in top hospitals and healthcare centres with attractive salary packages. The course provides equal opportunities in both Government and Private sectors.
Nurses can find plenty of opportunities in a number of professional areas including:
- Nursing Homes
- Assisted living and Residential facilities
- Private Practices
- Home Healthcare Centres
- Old Age Homes
- Military Services
- Childcare Centres
- Veterans Affairs Hospitals
There is plenty of scope for BSc Nursing Nurses. This includes:
- Graduates can continue to develop their expertise and skills through specializations in diverse health areas like Surgical, Medical, ICU, Telemetry and ER.
- Fresh graduates take general care of patients.
- Senior Nurses and Supervisors are required for managing pediatric, psychiatric and intensive care patients. They also help in setting up medical equipment, keeping records of patient's progress and administration.
- Nurse Manager in top government and private healthcare centres.
- Nurses and Nursing Assistants can assist Doctors in health centers from the general ward to operation theatre.
- Home Care Nurses in private health centers.
- There is a very high demand for qualified and trained Nurses in India and Abroad.
- Candidates can pursue healthcare management courses and join the Administrative sector.
- Graduates can become Teachers and Lecturers in health universities and colleges.
- Graduates can become Nursing Educators and Tutors in some educational institutions.
- There are plenty of private and government jobs with a very good pay scale.
- There is a heavy demand for qualified, trained and skilled Nurses in countries such as the US, UK, Canada and Oman.
BSc Nursing graduates can earn a good salary depending on their professional experience and communications skills. Fresh graduates can earn between Rs 3.2 LPA to 7.8 LPA, which may vary depending on the employer.