The General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM) course is a 3-years Diploma course in Nursing. It provides vocational training to students looking for a career as a Nurse. The integrative syllabus equips students to understand subjects such as Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Psychology, Midwifery and Gynaecological Nursing.
The future scope is not only limited to hospitals and clinics but after completing this course, a student can pursue a career in academia, professor, trainee or go for higher education. After successful completion of the course, graduates can either go for higher studies or start working in the medical industry. Graduates can register as a Nurse with the State Nursing Registration Council. The course is centered on care, rehabilitation or treatment of patients. GNM Nurses are specifically trained to assist doctors in the efficient and effective treatment of patients.
Nursing plays an important role in the healthcare sector and the GNM course will enable students to successfully assist the patient and ensure their quick recovery. Through the GNM course, students will gain knowledge about patient care, medicines and maintaining the good health of the general public.
GNM is a suitable course for students who do not have an educational background in Science stream. It is a less expensive and cost-effective nursing course so students can enroll without worrying about their budget. The responsibilities of graduates range from making acute treatment diagnosis to providing vaccinations in schools. The core skills required for a successful career are understanding, precision, experience, drive and determination that it takes to be a reliable Nurse. Through long-term monitoring of a patient’s external health, medical tests and behavior and knowledge-based expertise and skills Nurses are highly qualified to take important decisions related to a patient’s health and wellbeing.
The GNM Course is a full-time 3-years duration Diploma program.
- A minimum aggregate score of 40% or equivalent in 10+2 education (or equivalent) from a recognized university is mandatory for GNM Course.
- The candidate should be of minimum 17 years of age and maximum of 35 years of age on the date of admission.
Affiliations and Approvals
- Recognition by the Government of Karnataka
The Nursing courses offered by colleges in Bangalore should be approved by the Government of Karnataka.
- Affiliated to the Karnataka State Diploma in Nursing Examination Board (KSDNEB)
The Karnataka State Diploma in Nursing Examination Board is a state regulatory body for Nursing education in Karnataka. It was re-established in 1991 with the objective of enabling Nursing colleges or institutions to provide high-quality Nursing education, practice and research opportunities in accordance with the Indian Nursing Council. The board is also responsible to prepare Nurses for effective participation in national healthcare delivery programs.
- Approval of the Karnataka State Nursing Council (KSNC)
The Karnataka State Nursing Council is a state regulatory body for Nursing education in Karnataka. It was established in 1971 with the objective of granting recognition to the training institutions and their regular inspection in accordance with the Indian Nursing Council. The council is also responsible to regulate, supervise and prescribe the curriculum of training programs of the Diploma, Graduate and Postgraduate courses and finally provide registration certificates to the qualified graduates.
The GNM syllabus consists of the basic theoretical and practical concepts related to Nursing subjects. Some of the important topics included in the GNM course are:
Fundamentals of Nursing
Medical Surgical Nursing - Pharmacology
Medical Surgical Nursing
Medical Surgical Nursing - Specialties
Mental Health and Psychiatric Nursing
Midwifery and Gynecology
Community Health Nursing
Community Health Nursing
Why should one choose to study GNM in Bangalore?
The GNM course is a popular healthcare professional course in Bangalore. It is an interesting course choice because:
- Nursing allows a candidate to make a significant difference through compassion and care for the people in need.
- There are plenty of career opportunities in leading hospitals and healthcare centres in Bangalore.
- There is continuous exposure to diverse working environments in hospitals and clinics in Bangalore.
- There are continuous challenges and opportunities to learn new things.
- Candidates can make a career out of helping and caring for people.
- Provides instant job satisfaction.
- Candidates are appreciated and respected for their professional assistance.
- Graduates get to take care of the health needs of the individual, family and community under the direction of qualified and trained Nurses who are recognized in Bangalore
- There are diverse and popular GNM specializations in Bangalore that focus on medical areas including Clinical Care, Midwifery, Cardiology, Critical Care, Neonatal Care, Geriatrics, Pediatrics, Oncology, Orthopedics and Occupational Health.
- Hospitals and clinics in Bangalore provide a very good salary package with additional benefits.
- The working hours are flexible and regulated - it ensures work-life balance.
Top GNM colleges in Bangalore
Bangalore has many recognized Top GNM colleges. These include:
- MS Ramaiah Medical College
- Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science (KIMS)
- Vydehi Institute of Medical Science and Research Center
- BGS Global Institute of Medical Science
- Rajarajeswari Medical College and Hospital
- East Point College of Medical Science and Research Center
- Acharya Institute of Nursing
- East West College of Nursing
- Good Shepherd Institutions
- RR Group of Institutions
- Sea College of Nursing
- T John College of Nursing
- Manjushree College of Nursing
Career Scope of GNM
GNM graduates will gain knowledge about patient care, medicines and maintaining the good health of the public. They will find plenty of opportunities in top hospitals and healthcare centres with attractive salary packages. The course provides equal opportunities in both Government and Private sectors.
GNM Nurses can find plenty of opportunities in a number of professional areas including:
- Nursing Homes
- Assisted living and Residential facilities
- Private Practices
- Home Healthcare Centres
- Old Age Homes
- Military Services
- Childcare Centres
- Veterans Affairs Hospitals
Some of the many job profiles as a GNM Nurse include:
- Nurse In-charge
- Nursing Tutor
- Staff Nurse (ICU/CCU/Operation Theatre)
- Home Nurse
- Health Visitor
- Clinical Nurse Manager
- Nursing Superintendent
There is plenty of scope for GNM graduates. This includes:
- Graduates can continue to develop their expertise and skills through specializations in diverse health areas like Surgical, Medical, ICU, Telemetry and ER.
- Fresh graduates take general care of patients.
- Senior Nurses are required for managing pediatric, psychiatric and intensive care patients. They also help in setting up medical equipment, keeping records of patient's progress and administration.
- Nurses and Nursing Assistants can assist Doctors in health centers from the general ward to operation theatre.
- There is a very high demand for qualified and trained Nurses in India and abroad.
- Candidates can pursue healthcare management courses and join the Administrative sector.
- Graduates can become Teachers and Lecturers in health universities and colleges.
- There are plenty of private and government jobs with a very good pay scale.
- There is a heavy demand for qualified, trained and skilled Nurses in countries such as the US, UK, Canada and Oman.
GNM graduates can earn a very good salary depending on their professional experience and communications skills. Fresh graduates can earn between Rs 2.5 LPA to 6 LPA, which may vary depending on the employer.