The Post Basic (PB) BSc Nursing course is a 2-years Undergraduate course in Nursing. It provides additional skill training to students who already have a background in Nursing. The integrative syllabus is a holistic mix of classroom lectures and hands-on practical sessions and equips students to understand subjects such as Anatomy and Physiology, Microbiology, Psychology, Midwifery, Gynaecological, Medical Surgical and Community Health Nursing.
The future scope is not only limited to hospitals and clinics but after completing this course, a student can pursue a career in academia, professor, trainee or go for higher education. After successful completion of the course, graduates can either go for higher studies or start working in the medical industry. Graduates can register as a Nurse with the State Nursing Registration Council or become a Nursing Instructor in classroom training and clinical laboratories. The course is centered on care, rehabilitation or treatment of patients. Nurses are specifically trained to assist doctors in the efficient and effective treatment of patients.
Nursing plays an important role in the healthcare sector and the PB BSc Nursing course will enable students to successfully assist the patient and ensure their quick recovery. Through the PB BSc Nursing course, students will gain knowledge about patient care, medicines and maintaining the good health of the general public.
PB BSc Nursing is a suitable course for students who are registered nurses in the different practices of nursing and provides additional training in the medical field. This increases their competency, efficiency and future prospects to have better job opportunities. It is a less expensive and cost-effective nursing course so students can enroll without worrying about their budget. The responsibilities of graduates range from making acute treatment diagnosis to providing vaccinations in schools. The core skills required for a successful career are understanding, precision, experience, drive and determination that it takes to be a reliable Nurse. Through long-term monitoring of a patient’s external health, medical tests and behavior, and knowledge-based expertise and skills, Nurses are highly qualified to take important decisions related to a patient’s health and wellbeing.
The Post Basic BSc Nursing Course is a full-time 2-years duration Undergraduate program.
- A minimum aggregate score of 40% or equivalent in 10+2 education (or equivalent) from a recognized university is mandatory for PB BSc Nursing Course.
- The candidate should have obtained a certificate in General Nursing and Midwifery (GNM) after 10+2 education.
- The candidate should be registered as Registered Nurse Registered Midwife (RNRM) with the State Nurses Registration Council.
Affiliations and Approvals
- Recognition by the Government of Karnataka
The Nursing courses offered by colleges in Bangalore should be approved by the Government of Karnataka.
- Affiliated to Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences (RGUHS)
Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences is a government central university in Bangalore established in 1996 by the Government of Karnataka and recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) for the regulation of higher education in health sciences in Karnataka. The university is the largest health sciences university in India and is located in Jayanagar.
- Approval of Indian Nursing Council (INC)
The Indian Nursing Council is an autonomous national regulatory body for Nursing education in India. It was started in 1947 with the objective of establishing a uniform standard of education and training for Nurses, Midwives and Healthcare Workers. The council is also responsible to acknowledge and grant various Nursing qualifications and recognize a potential Nursing college or institution.
Post Basic BSc Nursing Syllabus
The Post Basic BSc Nursing syllabus consists of the basic theoretical and practical concepts related to Nursing subjects. Some of the important topics included in the Post Basic BSc Nursing course are:
||Medical Surgical Nursing|
||Community Health Nursing|
Why should one choose to study Post Basic BSc Nursing in Bangalore?
The Post Basic BSc Nursing course is a popular healthcare professional course in Bangalore. It is an interesting course choice because:
- Nursing allows a candidate to make a significant difference through compassion and care for the people in need.
- There are plenty of career opportunities in leading hospitals and healthcare centres in Bangalore.
- There is continuous exposure to diverse working environments in hospitals and clinics in Bangalore.
- There are continuous challenges and opportunities to learn new things.
- Candidates can make a career out of helping and caring for people.
- Provides instant job satisfaction.
- Candidates are appreciated and respected for their professional assistance.
- Graduates get to take care of the health needs of the individual, family and community under the direction of qualified and trained Nurses who are recognized in Bangalore
- There are diverse and popular specializations in Bangalore that focus on medical areas including Clinical Care, Midwifery, Cardiology, Critical Care, Neonatal Care, Geriatrics, Pediatrics, Surgery, Mental Health, Oncology, Orthopedics, Community Health and Occupational Health.
- Hospitals and clinics in Bangalore provide a very good salary package with additional benefits.
- The working hours are flexible and regulated - it ensures work-life balance.
Top Post Basic BSc Nursing colleges in Bangalore
Bangalore has many recognized Top Post Basic BSc Nursing colleges. These include:
- MS Ramaiah Medical College
- Kempegowda Institute of Medical Science (KIMS)
- Vydehi Institute of Medical Science and Research Center
- Dayananda Sagar University (DSU)
- BGS Global Institute of Medical Science
- Acharya Institute of Nursing
- East West College of Nursing
- Sri Devaraj Urs College of Nursing - Kolar
- Good Shepherd Institutions
- RR Group of Institutions
- Sea College of Nursing
- Manjushree College of Nursing
- Sri Siddhartha Nursing College -Tumkur
Career Scope of Post Basic BSc Nursing
Post Basic BSc Nursing graduates will gain knowledge about patient care, medicines and maintaining the good health of the public. They will find plenty of opportunities in top hospitals and healthcare centres with attractive salary packages. The course provides equal opportunities in both Government and Private sectors.
Nurses can find plenty of opportunities in a number of professional areas including:
- Nursing Homes
- Assisted living and Residential facilities
- Private Practices
- Home Healthcare Centres
- Old Age Homes
- Military Services
- Childcare Centres
- Veterans Affairs Hospitals
Some of the many job profiles as a Post Basic Nurse include:
- Nurse In-charge
- Nursing Tutor
- Staff Nurse (ICU/CCU/Operation Theatre)
- Home Nurse
- Health Visitor
- Clinical Nurse Manager
- Nursing Superintendent
There is plenty of scope for Post Basic BSc Nursing graduates. This includes:
- Graduates can continue to develop their expertise and skills through specializations in diverse health areas like Surgical, Medical, ICU, Telemetry and ER.
- Fresh graduates take general care of patients.
- Senior Nurses are required for managing pediatric, psychiatric and intensive care patients. They also help in setting up medical equipment, keeping records of patient's progress and administration.
- Nurses and Nursing Assistants can assist Doctors in health centers from the general ward to operation theatre.
- There is a very high demand for qualified and trained Nurses in India and abroad.
- Candidates can pursue healthcare management courses and join the Administrative sector.
- Graduates can become Teachers and Lecturers in health universities and colleges.
- There are plenty of private and government jobs with a very good pay scale.
- There is a heavy demand for qualified, trained and skilled Nurses in countries such as the US, UK, Canada and Oman.
Post Basic BSc Nursing graduates can earn a very good salary depending on their professional experience and communications skills. Fresh graduates can earn between Rs 3 LPA to 9 LPA, which may vary depending on the employer.